You may think that losing weight and getting healthy is this big, elusive, undertaking and super difficult to do… but it doesn’t have to be! You can make small changes that add up to big results! Check out and try some of these ideas:
- Challenge yourself to drink 8oz of water before eating dinner each evening: Not only does this help you get some water in and your hydration up, it also helps you feel full faster! Eight ounces really isn’t much to drink at once, yet has such a great impact.
- Eat one fruit or veggie at each big meal- breakfast, lunch, and dinner: Just take it one meal, one small choice, at a time! So at each meal, make sure you have a serving of fruit or vegetables. This makes it manageable and one serving isn’t as big of a deal. You’re adding in three servings of fruit and veggies per day, just by this small change and that’s amazing!
- Get just 10 minutes of exercise each day to start with: Starting with a goal of ten minutes is small enough to not be daunting. Then you can add more if you feel up to it and eventually work your way up as you progress.’
- Park further away from the store entrances to get more activity and use the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator. It won’t take you much more time to take the stairs whenever you have the opportunity, or to park further away from the store entrance. The activity and benefits of doing these things add up big time!
- Grab a piece of fruit when you have a sweets craving: Instead of picking up a cookie or whatever other sugary treat, simply grab an apple or another fruit to eat. You will save a bunch of calories and there are wonderful health benefits to fruits!
- Use ground turkey instead of ground beef when you cook: Using ground turkey does taste different, I won’t lie. However, it isn’t that big of a difference. You can alternatively use lean ground beef too. This simple swap makes a huge difference in calories and fat content, which is so much healthier!
- Walk in place during commercials of your favorite evening show: When you watch your favorite evening show, get up and walk in place during the commercials. There is a good 15-20 minutes of commercials per one hour of TV. If you walk in place during each commercial, which lasts a few minutes each, it adds up to a lot of activity!
- Don’t always “clean your plate:” If you’re full or done for whatever reason, then stop eating, whether your plate is empty or not. Which is a bigger waste: eating extra calories your body doesn’t need, or throwing food away to prevent those extra calories from turning into extra weight on your body?
- Track your food: Take a few minutes to track your food after each meal or once a day- write the foods down in a notebook, track online through SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal, or simply whatever works best for you!
- Walk to do errands if they’re close to your house: If your errands are only a mile or so away, walk to get them done. You’re getting exercise in and running your errands at the same time!
All of these little shifts can be made one at a time, or by doing whatever works for you to start and then adding on as you move forward. They are relatively small changes or sacrifices, that add up to big results over time!
What small changes have you made that have added up to big results? Or what small changes can you make to improve your health or lose weight?